A Little More Information
Unlike the regular volumes of Lasalliana, this volume is a single document of 220+ pages that chronicles every event either directly or indirectly associated with the life of St. John Baptist de La Salle and the Institute that he founded. Each event includes a short explanation and the source or reference for the event.
EXAMPLE: On February 17, 1682, John Baptist de La Salle makes a promise to reimburse the Sisters of the Child Jesus. “In case there was a shortfall on the capital of [the equivalent of 600 British pounds in 1994], he promises to reimburse them out of his own pocket. Notaries: Herbin and Admet. Signature of De La Salle, age thirty.” Sources cited are from the Cahiers Lasalliens.
NOTE: Below is an explanation of the “four parts of the filing scheme” for each article in Lasalliana.
Example: On an article marked 20-2-A-77:
- 20 means that it was published in folder [volume] number 20
- 2 means that it was article number 2 of this folder
- In every folder there are twenty articles
- This article numbering was added to the scheme with volume 15
- A means the subject of the article is St. John Baptist de La Salle
- 77 means that there have already been 76 other articles published on this subject before the present one.
General Subject Classifications:
- O – General subjects – Miscellaneous
- A – John Baptist de La Salle – Facts – His Teachers – Writings
- B – Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools – The Brother – History and Current Events
- C – Ministry – Educational Processes – Pedagogy – Teaching
- D – Mission – Shared Mission – Lasallian Family – Association
- E – Experiences – Witness – Happenings – Events