A Little More Information
In 2016, The Life and Work of Saint John Baptist de La Salle stained glass windows were installed in the Chapel of De La Salle and His Brothers, the centerpiece of the Manhattan College campus. The collection replaced the existing windows that line the aisles of the Chapel, and serve as a virtual narrative recounting the life of the founder. Their beauty brings exterior light and reflected color into the interior walls.
The De La Salle windows were created in the early 1900s by Mazuet et fils, renowned father and son artisans based in Bayeux, Lower Normandy, whose work can be admired in the ancient churches and magnificent cathedrals of France, including Eglise Notre-Dame et Saint-Marcouf in Basse-Normandie. Mazuet et fils was founded in 1858, and both father, Leon-Louis, and son, Henri, were students of the Brothers in the late 1800s.
Originally, the windows were installed at St. Joseph’s Novitiate in Pocantico Hills, N.Y., but the Novitiate relocated to Barrytown, N.Y. in 1930 after the Pocantico Hills property was sold to the Rockefeller estate. The Barrytown property is transitioning and the windows are no longer needed on site, so Manhattan College was given the opportunity to preserve the windows in its Chapel of De La Salle and His Brothers.
Professional artisans carefully restored, customized and installed the windows in a rectangular format to accommodate them into the current spaces in the chapel.